Sunday, January 17, 2010

Week #1: My Ideal Classroom...

My ideal classroom will be full of color and excitement. I will display pictures, quotes, student's work, and resources for the students on the walls. It will be bright and vibrant. It will be an atmosphere that enhances learning and creativity. It will be a safe place for students to express themselves.

I will teach either first, second, or third grade. The class size will be about 20 students. This smaller class size will allow me to get to know my students on an individual basis. It will also allow them to build a "team", meaning they will work together, establish friendships, and feel comfortable performing tasks and asking questions.

My students will be full of excitement and eager to learn. They will be sweet, well mannered, polite, and respectful. They will learn to be organized. Their behavior will resemble "perfect angels", but they will still be able to be silly and act like kids.

I will have great parent involvement. The involvement will be exemplified on many levels. It will range from the parents helping the students with reading and homework every night, to parent participation in the classroom.

I will be excited to go to work everyday. I will make friends with the staff as well as the students. It will be a safe haven. It will be a place where not only can I teach, but I can also be taught!

Video Reflection:

I REALLY liked this video. In fact after watching it I showed it to my fiance and Mom (who is also a teacher). This video reiterated why I want to be a teacher. It also reminded me how important being a teacher is. I really liked the part where he said something to the affect of, "If the teachers don't believe in the students, then how are the students supposed to learn to believe in themselves." Also I agree with the idea that by teaching one student you are potentially teaching two future generations. It was a good reminder that teaching isn't just a career, it's a way of life!


1 comment:

  1. This is a great description...I enjoyed reading it. I believe that this description can come to fruition and those children really do need your help...I look forward to watching you make this happen in your life....and I BELIEVE in you!! You can make this happen!!

    I would like to see a tiny bit more passion from you in your future reflections. I get the impression that you thought long and hard about this...but it also doesn't seem that most of those thoughts made it into your reflection.

    I look forward to seeing the progression of your reflections.

    ReplyDelete